In today’s world of business, the more you know, the more valuable you are as an employee, executive, etc. Expanding your resume to include international experience can only help your career and put you on the track to advancement. From the ability to speak the language of clients overseas to gaining knowledge of a foreign country’s cultures, you can set yourself apart from the rest. Find out why having international experience can make you an ideal candidate for the job.
Many employers – particularly those that do business abroad — will look favorably on your international experience, whether you gained that as a student or as an employee with a former company. Here are some of the reasons employers will see your experience as a benefit:
- Enhanced cultural awareness and sensitivity to different customs
- Proficiency in a foreign language
- Non-verbal and verbal communication skills
- Ability to adapt to changing environments
- More flexibility and receptivity
- Better listening and observation skills
- Increased confidence and independence
- Awareness of global economic and political issues
- Better travel skills
- Presence of tact and diplomacy
- Good organizational skills
- Solid problem-solving and crisis management skills
- Specific knowledge base pertaining to the language you have learned
Boosting your resume with international experience typically starts when you’re in school. Taking courses that feature an international dimension in college, such as strategy, organizational behavior, marketing, financing or economics, can put you ahead of the pack right out of the gate, says the Financial Post.
There are many qualities that can make you attractive to companies looking to expand their reach globally. With a background in international relations and language, you can:
- Speak the native language and understand nuance in cultural norms.
- Demonstrate how to bridge the gap between cultural differences to bring about desired results.
- Develop global solutions to universal issues.
- Further the company brand overseas.
- Help your company break into new markets, nurture international partnerships and expand overseas operations.
- Strengthen your leadership, communication and problem-solving abilities.
- Become more independent, tolerant and self-reliant.
- Command a higher salary over those who don’t have international experience.
Part of gaining this crucial international experience is learning the local language. You can achieve that through BRIC Language Systems, an innovative way to learn Chinese, Spanish or Brazilian Portuguese from teachers in China, Mexico and Brazil. You can learn these languages via online language classes using live video, whiteboards, and file sharing for an interactive, effective experience with teachers based in their native countries.
Boost that resume and get the dream job you’ve always wanted by learning a new language and wowing your future employers. Don’t forget to highlight your skills and experience on your resume so employers sit up and take notice.