15 Amazing Facts About Brazil

Iguazu Falls

Everyone knows that Brazil is the biggest and most populous country in South America, the land of soccer, samba and Carnaval. But do you have any clue where does the country’s name come from? Here is a list with some curiosities and super interesting facts about Brazil.

  • The Iguazu Falls, in Portuguese Cataratas do Iguaçu, is the largest waterfall in the world.
  • Brazil is the only country in South America that speaks Portuguese.
  • The name Brazil comes from a tree named brazilwood.
  • The country’s capital is called Brasilia, and not Rio de Janeiro.
  • Brazil is the 5th largest country in the world by both land area and population. It has 26 states and one federal district.
  • São Paulo is the biggest city in the country with a population of more than 11 million, and the most populous city in the Americas and the Southern Hemisphere.
  • The Amazon River is the largest river by volume in world and the second longest river.
  • The Amazon rainforest has the biggest biodiversity in the planet.
  • Indigenous tribes have inhabited Brazil for thousands of years and there are 180 languages and 20 major dialects. Some tribes have never had contact with Western civilization.
  • Rio de Janeiro was mistakenly named as “river of January”, because the Portuguese explorers who arrived in Rio in January thought the bay was the mouth of a river.
  • The iconic statue of the Christ of the Redeemer, opened in 1931, is the biggest Art Deco statue in the world.
  • The world’s best beach voted by Trip Advisor is located in Fernando de Noronha, a volcanic archipelago located about 172 miles off the coast.
  • For 150 years Brazil has been the largest coffee producer in the world.
  • 92% off new cars sold in Brazil use ethanol as fuel.
  • Henry Ford tried to create rubber plantations and factories in the middle of the Amazon forest, and built an American industrial town called Fordlândia, (Fordland) in the Brazilian state of Pará. Ford’s project failed and the town was abandoned in 1934.